8/5/11

Two Months Old!

It's official, Audrey has taken over my blog! I keep trying to think of things besides Audrey to post about, but right now it's all about her!

She had her two-month appointment yesterday. I had been dreading this appointment since I scheduled it at the pediatrician because they begin vaccinations at two months. I had to be brave for my little girl! Well, I guess she isn't so "little." The doctor said she's the size of a 4 month old! She's in the 80th percentile for all of her measurements. She's a big, healthy baby. The doctor also said she was a really smart baby, which I'm sure he says to all of his patients ;). Because she's doing so well with weight gain, the doctor is having me switch to on-demand feeding instead of every two hours. I'm really excited about this. I feel like I'm going to get some of my day back!

"Little" Audrey weighed in at 12lbs 4oz and was 23 inches long.

Her shots were horrible. She LOVES being naked so spending 30 minutes in just her diaper at the doctor's office was heaven for her. She was laying on the table in her skivvies smiling and laughing until the nurse came in. Even after the oral dose she was smiling and laughing. I was hoping she would be one of those babies that doesn't notice shots, but she IS NOT. I don't blame her, either! Those needles are so long and they jam them so far into their poor little thighs. When the first needle went in Audrey looked up at me with a face that seemed to say, "what the heck, mom?!" When the nurse poked her with the second needle, she screamed bloody murder until she was red in the face. She had 3 total pokes, and was not happy about it. After the nurse left we snuggled a bit and she slept the whole way home. I felt so bad putting her through it but thinking about the benefits of vaccines and the pain she put me through to get to this world made me realize it was all okay :).

Last night she was so pitiful and was whimpering like a little puppy all night. I gave her a warm bath to help with the soreness, gave her some Tylenol, put her in some jammies and at 8pm, she and I fell asleep in our bed. She seems much better this morning, thank goodness! I just hate the fact that in two months we have to do this again!

Little Miss Audrey, 2 months old!

2 comments:

  1. I hate that "what did you just do to me look". Elise this last time cried from the moment we took off her clothes. She was begging to not have to be weighed or measured. I was sure glad I had Ryan with me. That way I could hold her and Ryan could pin her arms down. It's so sad while it's going on but Elise always is smiling as we race to the elevator after it's over

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hollie, I'm glad you and Audrey are doing well! Here's a fun shot of relative deprivation that will make you feel better: for Max's one-year shots we had to go to the local (and only) hospital, which is infested with rats. The air conditioning had been broken for more than a week (thus it was about 90 degrees inside), and there was some confusion between the doctor and the nurse about which vaccinations Max actually needed. After waiting for at least 40 minutes (and we got VIP treatment), we were ushered into a room that had a fan in it. Then a nurse stuck him five miserable times (because the combined dosages are for some reason dangerous out here?), handed me some bandaids, said she was sorry, and we walked out the front door past a few mangy dogs that were lying around the entrance. But let me tell you, I am very thankful for that nurse. She was the best one they had and she got the vaccinations right.

    So the next time you have to go, you can thank your lucky stars (and stripes) that you live in America.

    So yeah, I don't like taking my child to get vaccinations either.

    ReplyDelete