7/11/07

Change for the Better

Why, hello..this is Hollie speaking.

As many of you may or may not know, I have switched majors. I often joke about this new change and give a reason for it by saying "oh, it was too hard". As true as that may be, I am learning that I could have overcome the "hardness" of a music major, or any other major, really. After earning a very satisfactory (for me) grade on my statsitcs exam, I immediately thought to myself "Man, if I can get good grades in this class, I can do it in any class!" (Math really isn't my cup of tea). Even music? Yes, even music. As I sat out on the stairs of the testing center waiting for Tony to pick me up, I began thinking about my change of major. Could I have just toughed a music major out? Yep, I think I could have. I love music, with all of my heart, I really do. Now that I know I can conquer any class if I try hard enough...was it the wrong choice to switch?

ABSOLUTELY NOT

I loved being a music major for the time I was, but if any of you knew me during that time...I was never a happy camper. My confidence was always low, I was spread too thin, and not many people in that department were nice to me. Ever. I changed my major not because it was too hard, but because it simply wasn't for me. Almost everyone I talk to asks me what I'm majoring in NOW and I tell them "Marriage, Familiy, and Human Development". Oh, the relief society major (ha. ha.) It isn't a relief society major. It isn't an LDS girl's cop-out major just to get to college, find a man, and drop out. It's a real field of study with a lot of great opportunities to help children and families.

I walked past the JFSB the other day and noticed the observation lab children playing on the playground. I found myself almost analyzing them. Wondering why they do what they do and what makes their brains think they way they think. It was extremely fun. I plan to use this interest to help me through this new major that I am already loving. Knowing that I am interested in it not just because people expect me to be gives me a shining hope for the future. I'm doing it because I want to.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've learned that I can do anything if I put my mind to it, and that knowledge has helped me realize I've made the best decision for me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, girl, I am so excited for you! Way to stick up for MFHD! You will do great things with that major, and I am sure you will continue to bless everyone around you with your MAD MUSIC SKILLS!


    Oh, and hey Tony!

    ReplyDelete