9/7/08

Before we go...

Wow, time really does fly! We are leaving tomorrow for Bulgaria (well, at midnight we can say that). As I scramble to finish preparing for our trip (arranging cell phone plans, credit cards, etc.) I keep thinking of all of the things I'll encounter in Bulgaria...and all of the things I won't.

So, here's a list of some of the things I'm excited to experience in Bulgaria:

1. French fries and feta cheese and diuners. When Tony told me about this french fry concoction, I thought it sounded SO odd. But, don't knock it 'til you try it! I made a version of it and I love, love, love it! I used greek feta cheese and so I'm excited to experience BULGARIAN french fries and feta. Yummmy! It will probably be the first thing I get while I'm there. As far as diuners go, I've only heard lots of good things about them, and I'm really excited to try them!

2. Big city vacation, small town life. We are planning on spending four days in Sofia before we start working in the orphanage. On Sunday we'll move to Medven and begin our selo (village) adventure. It will be so nice to be in this beautiful, tucked away town with a mere 260 population. I think I'll learn so much from Medven and the people there.

3. Helping children. Over the past year this has become one of my favorite things to do. My job at House of Hope was all about helping children and I can't find a greater joy than the feeling I get when I've helped a child. I can't wait for this experience!

4. Getting better at Bulgarian. Even though I'm semi-dreading this part of the internship, I know that I'll speak better Bulgarian when we return and that makes me excited! Maybe we'll post some Hollie Bulgarian improvements videos on here every once in a while so you can see my progress :).

...and here are some things I'll miss while in Bulgaria:

1. Talking to family & friends on my cell phone. We'll have GSM cell phones in Bulgaria, but I don't think we'll be able to just call up the fam whenever we darn well please. I have to admit I'll miss that.

2. ENGLISH. My brain hurts just thinking about the fact that in our village there won't be a single person who speaks a word of English. I know enough Bulgarian to get by, but the thought of not being able to understand well is frustrating. I always feel like the kid trying to converse with the grown ups when I speak Bulgarian.

3. Tacos, ketchup, and other sauces known to Americans (BBQ, for example). We are planning on going to the store tomorrow to pick up some of the dry packets of gravy, taco seasoning, pasta sauce, etc. But the meat in Bulgaria is minced meat. Basically half pork and half beef, because it's cheaper that way. So, no matter what we bring to Americanize our meals, it won't be the same. I am very excited for the food, but I know I'm gonna miss my Peanut Butter sometimes!

4. The luxury of having the Internet when I want it and where I want it. Living in a selo (village) is going to teach me a lot about luxury items and how I can live without them, but I am going to miss the convenience of wireless Internet. We'll have to travel 15 minutes on a bus to the city to go to an Internet cafe for Internet usage. It will be good for me....but I'll hate it.

I'm nervous. I'm anxious. I'm worried. And I'm SOOOO ready to go!!!!! :) :)

3 comments:

  1. Good luck you guys! I'll look forward to the Bulgaria updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! This is a chance of a lifetime so soak it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be fabulous and I am sure you will have a great time! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete