9/20/09

The Dentist

So, about a month ago I went to the dentist for my regular check-up. All went well (I did have a couple tiny cavities..boo..) but something during my visit really stuck out to me this time. I had noticed it before, but never as much as this particular time.

Do you notice that after the assistant is done cleaning your teeth, the dentist comes in, says hello to you, and then you somehow disappear from the dentist chair? He leans you back (like, past straight so your head has all the blood rushing to it) and checks your teeth. He then starts a charming conversation with his assistant: "So, Chrissy, did your boys like the pool party you went to the other day?" "Oh yes Dr. Nate" and they go on like this pausing only to call out numbers of rotten teeth you have. Then they raise you up in the chair. You still aren't sure what's going on or what is going to happen next. The dentist begins taking his gloves off, puts his hand on your shoulder, tells you how many cavities you have, then leaves. Did he even know I was here? I could have just left my teeth for him and done some shopping! That would probably look funny, though. Don't get me wrong, our dentist is great, it's just funny when he does this.

I thought it was really funny after that appointment, but this past Friday I had to go in for my fillings and things were a little different. Let's just start off by saying this: I have a new friend, and her name is Nitrus Oxide. Tony suggested I get it to calm my nerves and I loved it. It was so relaxing! Because I was on Nitrus, the dentist didn't get away with his "ingore Hollie chatter." While they were waiting for me to get numb they began talking and I (partially without realizing) said "hey! the left side of my mouth isn't numb yet, is that okay?" Looking shocked that I spoke up he said "well, I'll go slow and you raise your hand if it hurts." Satisfied with the answer, I closed my eyes and let him go to town.

During this process, however, the tubes feeding me my joyful juice were pinching my cheek. I kept reaching up, getting in the dentist's way each time, to adjust it. Finally after the fourth or fifth time, the doctor realized what was going on. "Oh no, I'm stepping on your tube!" he said. He took his foot off of it and adjusted it so it wouldn't pinch me anymore. When he did all that I suddenly felt a WHOLE lot better, too. He was cutting off my supply!

In the end I did well, it only took about 25 minutes and I was happy as a clam. The only not-so-fun thing was the incredibly numb mouth I had for 3 hours afterward. I'm just glad it's over now. I can't say I'm a fan of the dentist, though ours is terrific.

3 comments:

  1. It may be better though than when he asks you questions, shoves something down your throat, and expects you to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being non-existent at the dentist used to bug me a bit. But now, I am just so happy to enjoy the peace and quiet that I get annoyed when they DO talk to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They put up tvs or make me listen to music in order to make it ok that they ignore the fact that i'm there, and for the most part it works.

    ReplyDelete