5/22/11

Getting So Close!

I try not to ONLY blog about pregnancy and the baby, but that's all I really have going on for me right now. To quote Tony, "all of our dates involve a trip to the doctor or hospital."

We have had some semi-eventful things happen in the world of baby lately. I had an appointment on Tuesday with the doctor and everything was just peachy. My blood pressure was higher than *my* normal, but still in the normal range so no one was worried. On Thursday night I got a really bad headache. I've suffered from migraines since my freshman year of college, so I'm familiar with how painful a headache can get. Unfortunately for me, this latest one was pretty bad and none of my migraine prescriptions are okay for a pregnant Hollie to consume. I remembered the doctor telling me that if I experienced any headaches with visual disturbances that I need to call him. This was also tricky because my migraines always produce what I call "sparkles." (It looks like the little flashes you get in your eyes after you get your picture taken.) I sort of brushed this headache off, chalking it up to pregnancy causing a migraine.

I went to my Prenatal Water Aerobics class Friday morning (don't laugh!) and talked to my teacher about my headache. During class I still had a dull headache, what I call migraine hangover, and the teacher suggested maybe I go to a drugstore and take my blood pressure. So, after class I grabbed a snack and headed to the store. I took three readings and averaged them out. You have to know that my blood pressure is usually something like 119/59 -- super low numbers. The average from these three readings was 141/91. AH! I called the nurse at my doctor's office and she sent me over to the Labor & Delivery unit for some Non-Stress Testing.

My blood pressure didn't get lower as I was monitored so they drew some blood and had me do a very lovely 24-hour urine collection. I had to report back yesterday.

The results? Well my blood and urine samples were great--the nurse said my urine collection was the best she had seen in a long time, that's right--but my blood pressure still refuses to come down to normal. I was told to rest and I go back to L&D Tuesday for a non-stress test and Wednesday I see my doctor. I guess if my blood pressure keeps creeping up like this, baby might make an early appearance.

I royally freaked out while we were in the hospital Saturday. They were swamped in L&D when I showed up and so instead of putting me in Triage (the transition room, basically) they put me in an actual labor room. Like, the room where I would be delivering the baby. The room was very nice and spacious, and we'll be quite comfortable there, but it was a little weird for me to realize this is all going to happen VERY soon. The nurse kept saying stuff like, "we just want to keep her in for a couple more weeks." Here's hoping my blood pressure goes down! I don't know if I'm ready for all of this!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! You sure have had a rather eventful few months with the baby, huh? I sure hope it goes down and baby can make it to full term. We'll keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it ironic how STRESSFUL it is to keep your blood pressure low? It's like, the more the doctor talks about it, the more nervous you get and the higher it goes. Well, I'm mentally sending you soothing pictures of the beach. Wait...that might make you think of the Florida-fiasco...okay pictures of a stream in the mountains, one without a bridge w/a troll. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you have the best urine your nurse has ever seen! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Danni, after the hospital Tony said "since you have such good pee, I'll take you out for dinner anywhere you want." :) What can I say? I'm a urine champ!

    ReplyDelete