8/10/09

Why Can't We Be Friends?

As of late, I have been noticing an increasing number of facebook posts, status updates, etc. that are quite judgemental. I hate to say the word "judgemental" because I feel that by my thinking THEY are being judgemental, I am being judgemental as well. But I can't help but notice all of this. It spans from Obama's health reform plan to judging what people are wearing...

Don't get me wrong, I'm always up for a good debate, but it seems as if sometimes this Obama business can go so far as to almost ruin relationships! For instance, Tony posted a facebook status update that was posing a question about the health care proposal to extreme republicans who are just going nuts with this concept, who say Obama is Satan and things of the sort. I believe everyone has a right to free speech and if anyone likes a good debate--it's TONY, but his comment has ruffled the feathers of many of his family members. Ruffled them a lot. Tony's uncle now refers to him as his "favorite left-leaning nephew" and his grandpa is appauled that Tony is "behind this plan." Everyone in his family seems to think Tony is some sort of Satan worshipper, when he was just looking at ideas objectively and getting more opionions so he could form his own. He never once said he was 100% behind the health care reform. If anything he said he could see flaws in it. Even if Tony is a left-leaning Satan worshipper, what's it to you? I just don't get people sometimes and how mean they can get with this stuff. I realize it's important for our nation to choose the best thing for us, but when you start name-calling and judging because someone thinks a little differently than you....that is so not cool.

Aside from politics, I noticed a facebook status the other day commenting on a girl who was wearing a skirt that was a little short for BYU standards on campus. Yes, I signed the Honor Code agreement. Yes, she did too. I would probably raise an eyebrow to her outfit as well, but I don't think I would dedicate a facebook status to show my disgust for her dress and how she is not following the honor code. Talk about Holier Than Thou. I'm sure that girl is a really good person and maybe her skirt is a little short, but that doesn't give anyone any right to judge her. Last I checked, that wasn't our job here on earth.

One last situation--I was at Old Navy shopping the extra 50% off clearance sale and I was browsing through the swimsuits which were running at 4 bucks a piece. I picked up a bikini, and looked at it for a little bit. I thought it was really cute! But I kept on looking for tankinis and one pieces. As I was looking at this bikini, a middle-aged woman said to her friend (very loudly) "Someone who so proudly shows their garments [I guess my garments were showing a bit out of the top of my shirt, I didn't know] shouldn't be wearing bikinis on the beach. She obviously doesn't realize what garments mean." Excuse me? I almost said something to this woman. Seriously. Even if I did wear bikinis on the beach and DIDN'T understand what garments were about, there is absolutely no reason to say that about anyone.

I've always been one of those hippie-minded "let's all be friends and hold hands" types but I don't usually speak out about it. It's just amazing to me how mean people are getting towards one another. It really makes me sick sometimes. I wish people could talk with one another objectively and considerately.

Maybe in the next life?

4 comments:

  1. Amen, Hollie. Our society has lost all interest in good manners and it shows on every side.
    Everyone has a right to their opinion, and that's the way it's meant to be. When that opinion is harsh and judgemental, it ought to be kept to oneself. I guess the BYU student is practicing to be a future ward busy-body, and the lady at Old Navy is a current ward busy-body. Every ward has one.
    Hang in there, and keep humming Kumbaya! It's on the rest of us if we decide not to sing along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Our nation is funny like that. If you voice a political opinion, everyone jumps down your throat. If you voice an opinion rudely towards another individual, you're safe. A little backwards? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me about it! I've been considering switching from nursing to formula, and the mere thought gets people all worked up! Why do they care if my baby has a bottle? People are so weird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems that respect is something people only notice when they don't think they are getting any. But as far as showing respect and empathy towards others, people seem to care less. I seem to remember writing an opinion essay in a high school english class and doing poorly because apparently my opinion was wrong. I still don't think that an opinion can be wrong.

    ReplyDelete