1/17/12

My Top Baby Items

I've had several friends ask me, "what are the must-have baby items I should get before my baby comes?"  I never know what to say to them so I compiled a list of things that helped Tony and I survive the beginnings of parenthood.

#1 - Summer Over-sized Muslin Swaddle Blankets
We had registered for the velcro "burrito wrap" blankets (the ones that look eerily similar to straight jackets) and naturally, Audrey hated them.  My lovely friends and family bought a ton of them for me and I used one...once.  My cousin told me about this and while they seem a bit pricey ($24 for a 3 pack) they are worth EVERY penny, especially if you have a summer baby.  They are huge blankets so they can be used for covering up while nursing, playing on the floor, covering your carrier seat, etc.  They wrap snugly around baby and Audrey rarely broke free from them when she was a newborn.  Because they are so thin and made of muslin, a breathable material, I was still able to dress in her in footed pajamas and swaddle her without making her too warm.  They were also perfect for covering her up when we'd go out in July/August when the summer heat was at its worst.  These are one of my favorite baby items, and I'll surely use them again for future babes.

#2 - Fisher Price Soothe and Glow Seahorse

I got this for Audrey just a couple weeks after she was born and it was a heaven-send.  The successor to the Glo Worm, this adorable little sea horse helped lull Audrey to sleep on a nightly basis.  When she would wake up for feedings I had a hard time getting her back to sleep because she wanted to play, and once I turned the seahorse on she would always drift back to dreamland without any problem.  It's soft, cuddly, super cute, and Audrey still loves her seahorse.  She still sleeps with it and she even knows how to turn it on by herself now.  The only downside to this toy is that I played it so much during the night while she slept in our room that sometimes if I listen very carefully I can hear it's lullabies quietly in the distance somewhere.  Perhaps I should get that checked out.

#3 - The Happiest Baby on the Block
This book saved us from going completely insane during Audrey's "fussy time."  My pediatrician recommended this book to us during our prenatal classes.  I didn't end up getting it until Audrey was about a month old and I wish I would have gotten it sooner.  Dr. Karp's 5 S's are nothing short of miraculous.  They worked every. single. time.  It helped me understand baby's crying more and helped me learn how to cope with it better.  I recommend this book to EVERY new momma I meet.





#4 Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Bottles
I don't even know how many bottles we went through before we found one that Audrey could take easily.  We started with Playtex Drop-Ins and she liked them for a few weeks.  She is exclusively breast fed so she didn't have bottles often, mostly when she was with a sitter or when I was gone for long periods of time.  These bottles have a very wide nipple so it is closer to the shape of a breast, and the material the nipple is made of is very flexible so it feels more like breastfeeding to the baby.  They aren't the cheapest bottles, but Audrey loves them and drinks from them like a champ.  I love these bottles but I don't love the fact that they are only available online or at Babies R Us.  Hopefully they will start expanding where they sell them!

#5 - "Lovey Bunny"
Lovey Bunny is what we call Audrey's little security blanket with a head.  She can't sleep anywhere without Lovey Bunny and she snuggles it every night.  It is so soft and she just loves it.  I'm not sure what will happen if she ever loses this thing.  It's not sold in stores anymore.

I think everybody needs a lovey :)






I know there are more than five things that we feel are necessities but these are my top items.  Now, hopefully when my friends ask me what one thing they should get for a baby I can remember writing it all down and let them know instead of sounding like I've never had a baby. :)

Maybe some googler will stumble across this and it can help them as they prepare for a baby, as well. (Hi googler!)


No comments:

Post a Comment