10/11/08

Great Saturday!

Man, we are having a pretty good day today. I really didn't think that it would go as well as it has, but hey--I'll take it! Our day began with a Service Project we planned for the kids. We put up flyers all around the home (well, just two flyers) advertising the project to clean up trash around the orphanage and the only incentive we had was that there would be treats afterwards. I was expecting two, maybe three kids because the kids here are pretty lazy and the trash situation was really bad. It was pretty disgusting. We had about ten kids show up! They did a really great job and we all had a lot of fun cleaning up trash! Can you imagine? We had cookies afterwards (red box cookies for anyone who knows what those are) and we took lots of good pictures. I'll put those up later.

We also painted some ping pong tables today. They have these metal tables outside for ping pong that were completely rusted over so we attempted to sand them down, and we painted them green. The one we finished looks really nice. I really like doing things that make the orphanage look like a nicer place to be. I kind of want the kids to take pride in where they live and who they are instead of being ashamed of it. I know that's a hard goal to accomplish, but even if I instill a little bit in them I'll feel good. We are planning a service project for every Saturday while we are here and hopefully it will make the kids feel better by forgetting themselves and thinking of others.

We are also holding our very first "Клуб English" [club English] meeting tonight. We're going to learn the alphabet, play Around the World, and play Uno. The kids love to play Uno here, it's really fun. Next meeting we're going to learn colors and numbers and play Uno only speaking English. Hopefully this Club English will help me learn some Bulgarian as well. There's a girl who is a senior in high school that Tony and I are going to tutor privately. She already speaks English really well, but she wants to learn more because she plans on being a lawyer when she's older. It will be lots of fun, and she can teach me lots of Bulgarian, too!

Hope all is well wherever you are! :)

сърдечни поэдрави от България!

2 comments:

  1. so neat! I can't believe all the wonderful things you are doing. It makes my daily life seem boring. Way to do service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, it's Deborah from One Heart Bulgaria again. I LOVE how you are planning service projects with the kids each Saturday--wonderful!!! I think the whole UNO thing is great too. I have a suggestion for a few creative and educational activities. What about a Harry Potter Book Club? You can purchase Harry Potter books in Bulgarian and OHB will reimburse you. Or, just have Nikolai buy them under the OHB account. If there is interest, you will need to purchase several copies of book #1 and even 1 in English for you guys (unless you don't mind doing this in Bulgarian). It would be great to get the kids reading and I know those books are addictive for children. You could also do crafts with the girls...beaded jewelry or whatever. We can cover the costs.

    Thanks for everything,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete