10/3/08

I Didn't Forget You!

I haven't posted in over a week! I'm such a slacker, I know. I guess that means I have a lot that I need to update you on, so let's start from where we left off, eh?

Well, first off...we're moving to Bratsigovo TOMORROW! The people here were ripping us off with rent, so Nickolai decided we should just move to our next location. So...ciao ciao Medven!

We went to Ruse last weekend, and it was super duper fun. I finally got to meet Krassy! We stayed in a little hostel-like place called the English Guest House for three nights and had a jolly good time. We went shopping, saw the Danube river (which isn't so blue...), and ate some more diuners. We had a little party with the missionaries who were getting transferred and we had cake, ice cream, cookies, and root beer! Bulgars aren't too fond of root beer so there really isn't any but one missionary had some root beer concentrate stuff and he decided to make it for us. It was pretty good.

Our last week here in Medven has been fun but kind of uneventful (imagine! in a town of 260 people!). I think that my body is trying to get really sick but because I sleep enough it's not working. Tony and I recently found some mysterious red dots all over us that look like some sort of bug bite. They're so itchy! We're not sure what it is, but we both have them all over our stomachs (and Tony has them on his feet!). Recently I've been feeling really achy all over. Maybe it's the ГРИП?!?!?!?! (flu)

Today the director of the orphanage took us to a little touristy town called Jeravna. It was REALLY fun. We saw all kinds of museums and old houses. The director is an antique collector so he knew lots of things about everything in those old houses. We went to another church, and bought some pictures from a Bulgarian man who spoke English like a Brit! My favorite part of our little trip was buying some Bulgar slippers from a little stand. They are the coolest, dorkiest things you ever did see. I'll be sure to post some pictures. Tony and I got matching pairs and plan to wear them all around the house. We also ate at a little restaurant with a live folk band. I got my favorite--PEPPERS and Tony got some chicken and pork dish. It was pretty tasty! Side note: I never knew that Bulgaria was such a popular place for clarinetists. When I tell people I play the clarinet, they love it! There's a clarinet in every folk band including the one at this restaurant(along with a drum and accordion). I had a lot of fun and I'm really glad Genchev took us there.

We've been having a lot of great fun with the kids at the home. We've been getting closer to them each day and we're having lots of fun. I'm still improving my Bulgarian and even helped one girl learn how to count the right way! It was really hard to leave today. We brought them all some chocolates and told them our final goodbyes. Some of the kids didn't really understand what was going on and asked if they would see us on Monday. :'( I miss those little buggers!

We'll see what adventures this Bratsigovo place will bring us.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm...the bug bites sound like they could be bed bugs. I hope not!!

    ReplyDelete