4/27/09

Wahoo!

About a month ago, we were saddened and terrified to find out that Tony had lost his job at Healthy Living magazine. We weren't sure what to do or how we were going to survive, but Tony being Tony, went at it and put some ads for himself on KSL classifieds and on Craigslist. He had been getting little "side gigs" for people here and there helping them build websites, but the only permanent prospect was the interview he got with a company called QuickCutz, a place full of engineers that make die cuts for scrapbookers out there. We knew that the chances of Tony getting this job were slim because of his inexperience compared to others with web development but he went in and gave it his all, and felt pretty good after the fact.

After his fist interview at QuickCutz we waited a week with no response. I encouraged Tony to email the Senior Web Developer and ask when they thought they would make a decision because Tony was getting lots of freelancing offers. Promptly after that email, the web developer emailed him back, asking for a second interview which would include the head hancho of sales at QuikCutz.

We considered this pure luck. Tony thought the only reason he got the second interview was because of the email he sent telling them that their company was his first choice. In the second interview they expressed their concern with Tony's lack of experience, but were very impressed with his "well-roundedness." It seems as if companies looking for these computer geeks are trying to steer away from the typical geek that can't communicate outside the worlds of Java and PHP. Tony having an English major was appealing to them because he could help edit content as well as actually develop the site. The second interview on Thursday went really well, and Tony felt great about it, but we wouldn't hear anything until Monday (today) or Tuesday.

Today at around 4:30 Tony got a call from QuickCutz on his cell phone. He quickly went into the bedroom (because I had the TV on) and I had no clue who he was talking to, but my ears perked when I heard him say, "really? Thank you so much!"

He got it. They offered Tony the job.

We proceeded to scream and jump and yell things like "WE'RE GOING ON A CRUISE!" We called family and everyone celebrated the success with us. What a relief!

Tony will be getting a salary and this job includes benefits and 401K plans. Tony deserved this job. He is such a hard worker and I can tell that he is so relieved. Today after celebrating he plopped on the couch and said "I'm so relieved I feel like I'm losing weight." :) I am so happy for him, for us, and for the future! He was telling me that the web guys at QuickCutz make pretty darn good money and he's confident he can move up in their world (as am I).


Thank you for all of your thoughts, prayers, concerns, and efforts to help us during our jobless situation. I wouldn't have said this a week ago, but maybe this period was good for us and helped us grow. It sure was humbling to not have money, haha!




Yay!

3 comments:

  1. Who says nice guys finish last? You guys are great and I am so happy for you. Way to persevere!
    Not only that... I love my Quickutz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats. Tell Tony that I watched the old 5th grade play where Tony was Ebenezer Scrooge. It was so great and so funny! I hope you have seen it. You would be very proud! "Merry Christmas Uncle Scrooge." "HUMBUG." I bet he can still sing it.

    ReplyDelete