6/23/10

Breathe In...Breathe Out...

As Grace would tell me, "Hollie, it helps me calm down when I take huge breathes.  Just take breathes."

I had to implement this tactic yesterday upon receiving an email from one of my professors.  I won't go into a ton of details in case said professor somehow stumbles upon my blog, but let me just say this person was RUDE.  After grading my assignment they wrote me an email essentially asking me  how I could be so stupid.  I'm not exaggerating at all.  This wouldn't be too offensive except this professor had previously sent me another email regarding a different exam and attacked my character because they thought I had cheated.  After explaining to prof., they realized I had not cheated and gave me a deserved grade.  I let it slide that time, feeling that it was somewhat deserved for someone who was assumed to be cheating.  However, this time, I let prof have it.  I spoke my mind!  I told them that I didn't appreciate how I was being spoken to and that I felt frustrations could be communicated just as effectively without a personal attack on my character.

Well, prof. wrote me back, gave me my grade, but there was still something lacking.....oh yes!  An apology.  I'm not complaining too much because my B turned into a B+ for some reason, so I suppose that will work.

I just don't understand why some professors feel like they can treat their students this way.  Just because you are an expert on something, doesn't mean everyone else is an idiot for not knowing as much as you.  This professor expects and demands respect from me, but somehow I don't get the same in return.  Hopefully now after speaking my mind I will get due respect.

Good news is, only a couple weeks left of school work!  Yeah!  Then I'll be a free woman.  Free to...go find a job and not be free again...

I'm off to the pool.

5 comments:

  1. Well it should be understood that as the student, you SHOULDN'T know as much as the professor. Duh! That's what the class is for. Your professor sounds like a jerk. I hope this isn't at BYU. Either way- fill out some sort of evaluation on him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a jerk! I want to email your professor! Give 'em a piece of my mind! ;) I hope you were able to relax at the pool!

    P.S. I'm glad you fixed the comment thing. I tried leaving a comment a few posts back and couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I wanted to start moderating comments because I was getting weird Chinese messages. I figured out that I had somehow disabled the comments in my attempts to keep my blog clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Professor,
    How could you be so unbelievably smart? It couldn't be that you are so much older than me and have had the chance to study this area of study for more years than I've been alive.
    Thank you for not respecting me as a person and personally attacking my intelligence. It is going to really give me the motivation I need to do better and create better work for you to grade. I will want to strive to do better instead of want to give up trying to learn this subject. I'm sure my work for you in the future will be much worse because of you. I hope you are proud of the inspiration you gave this student today.
    Loves, Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, Kimi I love it! That's exactly how I feel!

    ReplyDelete