9/26/12

My Time in Granny Class

When Tony signed up for classes, I felt a twinge of jealousy.  I was excited for him to go back to school because I loved school.  I loved learning and going to class.  The tests I could do without, but I just love learning new things.  I'm a nerd.

When I had to drive Tony to his first day of classes, my jealousy was embarrassingly apparent.  I was squealing with excitement for Tony, telling him how fun it was that he was going to school.  I kept talking about how I wish I could have a "first day" of school again.  I was like seriously way too excited about my husband going to his class.

Tony somehow picked up on this.  On our family walks we usually grab the mail and I try to browse through it while we walk (sometimes this is not good.  I'm not good at walking and doing things).  One particular afternoon we got a pamphlet for the UVU community education classes.  Tony suggested I sign up for a class, recommending a class in HTML.  I do a lot of graphic design work for his freelance clients, and HTML would be something helpful to learn.  I signed up one night and did a happy dance (really, I did) because I WAS GOING TO SCHOOL! (Sorta.) The class I am taking is considered Basic and I knew going into it that the majority of it would probably be a refresher for me, but I was still excited and thought it would be good to learn.

Last week was my first class.  After a horribly stressful day that resulted in cancelling the babysitter and making Tony come home early from work so I could go, I headed to my two-hour long class.  I sat down in my seat in front of computer and relaxed for a few minutes.  As I began looking around, I realized that I was a good 20-25 years younger than the majority of the class.  That's cool, I'm down with the old ladies.  They're awesome.  I did feel a bit silly, but I was still eager to learn. 

We got the formalities out of the way, introductions and parking passes and such.  Then we got the "intro to HTML" lecture from the teacher.  Like I expected, it was all stuff I knew, but it went PAINFULLY slow. 
My only entertainment was giggling at comments being made in the class.  "Does this work on The Google?" is one that sticks out in my mind.  I was SO bored.  I think I underestimated myself when I signed up or Basic instead of Intermediate, haha.  It may be a long 6 weeks. :)

I'm so grateful that Tony let me take a class.  If anything its good to get out of the house and feel like I'm doing something that doesn't involved Teddy Grahams, poopy diapers, and cleaning. It's also a nice feeling knowing I'm totally the smartest one in class.  That NEVER happened in real school, hahaha.


2 comments:

  1. LoL, that's awesome! I need to get my mom in one of those classes! Sounds like she'll fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continued education! Yes! Even if it's not what you expected, I hear you on the importance of learning stuff outside the home. It was wonderful to see you guys in Utah. Thanks so much for coming!

    ReplyDelete