10/3/12

Story Time


I'm always looking for fun things to do with Audrey.  If they're also educational, mega plus, right?  I heard about Toddler Time at the Provo library from one of my friends and hesitantly decided to give it a try.  We tried "Mommy and Me" time at the Orem library a while ago, which was advertised as a story time for babies.  It did not go over well.  Ten-month-old Audrey hated it.  Even though it's been six months, I was still unsure of how she would react to story time.

We got there ten minutes early and I was worried that we would have to sit all by our lonesome while we wait for a few people to show up.  Oh, boy, was I wrong!  We were lucky to get a seat!  The Provo Library is AMAZING.  They have an entirely separate children's library that is huge, beautiful, and oh so fun.  Audrey was loving it.  We sat down in this carpeted amphitheater type thing called "Story Circle" and Ms. Kristy handed out paper letter D's to all of the kids. 

Meet Mr. Glenn and Ms. Kristy
After all of the D's were passed out, these two came out with headset microphones on singing songs.  This was legit.  They started talking about the letter D and all the things that start with D.  Audrey was sitting by me and I was glad to see that she seemed entertained.  Ms. Kristy instructed all of the kids to stand up, hold up their D's and yell "DEEEEEEEEE!"  Assuming Audrey would just watch the other kids do this, I was shocked and amazed when she stood up, held up her paper letter, and yelled "DEEEEE!"  I didn't realize she knew how to follow instructions so well!


They keep Toddler Time to 30 minutes, but Audrey was involved and participating every second of it.  She danced in the middle of the circle with the kids during dance time, she sat on the blanket and watched the story being read.  She was cracking up at the puppet shows, and especially loved the song about ducks.

It was seriously like Sesame Street up in there.  It was the most impressive story time I've ever been to.  (And I've been to at least ten.  I used to be a nanny, ya know.)  We are most definitely going back again.  Audrey still has her letter D and proudly exclaims "D!" when we hold it up or show it to her.

Anyone in Utah who wants to come with me is totally welcome!  Even for my SLC friends, its worth the drive.  They have it on T/W/Th at 10, 11, and 12 I think.  We usually go on Tuesdays at 10.

3 comments:

  1. I have only tried one and it was LAME! I just assumed they were all lame! Sadie usually has preschool and dance those days, but she has Thurs 10/18 off for UEA, maybe we could go then???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that would be fun! This one is for 1-2 year olds, but I won't tell anyone that Sadie's 3 ;) I guess they've got one for preschoolers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous! That sounds awesome! And way to go, Audrey! Ours is pretty decent, but we're usually the embarrassing ones as Eli does NOT want to sit still and quiet. But this past week we had a breakthrough and made it through the whole thing! Hooray! :)

    ReplyDelete