9/4/07

New Crayons and Boquets of Freshly Sharpened Pencils

Today is the first day of classes here at BYU. I woke up early today and as I sit around waiting for it to be time to start getting ready, I've been thinking about all of my first days of school. Some make me laugh, others make me remember how scared I was back then. This year, I've started school differently (aside from last year, of course, when I started school as a married woman). I'm just going regular plain ol' style. This is the first year I've started school with no new pencils, paper, folders, binders, and mostly: clothes. Not that I need any of these things, but it is a weird feeling to me that I'm starting school without having been on the Grey Family Back-to-School Clothes/Supplies Shopping Extravaganza. First year, ever! I assume this is because I am an adult now, and Sears should provide me with enough paycheck to buy back-to-school clothes (HA!).

Regardless of the fact that I am wearing my same old wardrobe (which is still as fashionable as new clothes, might I add) I will start school today. I will be embarking on a new adventure called MFHD and even though I'm basically a professional at going to school having sixteen years of experience, I have those same anxious butterflies darting around in my stomach this morning. It kind of makes me nostalgic in a way because I remember feeling this same thing the night before my first day of kindergarten (too bad the school experience isn't similar to kindergarten!), and even though I may not LOVE school--I know I'll miss this feeling when I don't experience it once a year anymore. I will have grown up, and being a grown up like that scares me a little.

So, to all your BYUers out there: good luck today! Have fun, smile a lot, and do your homework. I'll sure try.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I miss going back to school! This is the first time in 17 years or so that I haven't! Aw, shucks. Enjoy it, Hollie!

    Work is going well for me, can't complain. I really like the folks in my office, and that helps a lot. Although, dang, I wish they would put together a game of life size Clue. That sounds ridiculously awesome.

    ReplyDelete