9/7/07

Space to Think

Since I realize basically millions read this blog, and you are all just dying to know how my first day of school with a new major went, I suppose I'll post an update.

Tuesday was the first day of school for BYU and I began my day as a new MFHD major with a class called "Forming Marital Relationships". The teacher seems very intelligent and he is very funny, so I think that class will be really good. The first day we talked about the whole Saturday's Warrior Theory: are there soul mates? Does Heavenly Father choose who we marry for us or do we make covenants in the pre-existance with someone to seek them out and find them? NO!!!!! (at least that's what I think) It was rather "heated" discussion because many people do believe that there is only one person for everyone. Although I said I don't believe this, I kind of sit on the fence for some of it. For example, I should not be at BYU. My grades were not good enough, and with all odds against me, I made it here. I believe that Heavenly Father blesses our lives and helps us get places He knows we need to be. Along with that, I believe I had the privelage to be here so I could meet Tony (and have other bad experiences along the way to him). So...does that totally contradict what I said? Probably. But really, as much as I love Tony, I don't think either of us floated around in the pre-existance promising we'd find each other and when we did sing "I've seen that smile somewhere before". I do not believe there are one-and-onlys, but I do believe that when you get married to the right person, you make them your one-and-only. I also believe Tony is the only one awesome enough for me so he is my one and only ;). But anyway--the idea of soul mates to me kind of takes away some of our agency...we can't choose who we marry? Done...let's move on.

My second class we talked about the same thing. Gross.

My third class which is Research Theories, while it seems like it's going to be the most boring class I've ever taken, is taught by the funniest old man I've ever seen. So, at least it will be entertaining, even if I get a bad grade.

After these three classes, my first day of school was honestly, discouraging. I was fearing that I was in a major where every class was Sunday School and there would be only straight up LDS doctrine, and no scholarly learning. I was also having a lot of feelings of regret for leaving music, something I have been familiar with for years. Then, I went to my last class of the day: Strengthening Marriage and Family taught by Lloyd Newell (music and the spoken word man). That class helped me so much. He shared quotes with us about how the first presidency wants BYU to be known for family research and for the family life majors. (that's me!) That class was my pump up class, if you will. It made me feel so great about what I was doing and I realized that I was going to be okay. Yesterday my classes were tons better and we actually learned things instead of having gospel doctrine class. Don't get me wrong, I like the gospel and all, but...I want to learn about families at school, and gospel at church, thank ya.

*The one thing I love the most about this new major of mine is how much I get to think! In music, I didn't think all that much except for when I played. But here, they throw out these ideas and just get you thinking! It's so fun!!*

Tony's classes seem to be going well for him. I swear I don't know how that boy reads so much. $635 in books and most of them were his. He has 10 books for one class! Silly English majors. That's okay, though, he loves it and he is the smartest man I know.

So now you can all rest easy. I survived and I'm going to be okay. I forgot to mention that my Infant Development teacher is a former boilermaker (Purdue grad) and so he and I are already best friends. He talked with me after class and I could possibly see him as a future mentor for me, which is exciting.

Well, have a good day ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment