3/9/08

Fun Weekend

This weekend was so much fun!

Friday night I had a concert with the Wasatch Winds. The concert was so cleverly named "March Music Madness" (insert cheesy music). We played some good, classic band pieces and had tons o' fun. Tony said he really enjoyed the music and I was proud of the fact that he could recognize all of the elderly folks in the band that couldn't keep up with the tempo. :)

During the concert I sort of had a meltdown. I haven't played a concert in a while (since May 2007) and so that was a concern: my chops giving out. The other problem was, I had some pretty grody reeds and I needed to get new ones. So, on the way to the concert Tony and I stopped at a music store to pick up a couple reeds for me to try out before the concert. First problem, they didn't even carry Vandoren reeds. Second problem, they only had size 2 or size 4. Since I'm a straight up 3.5 I decided I could try the 4 without a ton of problems. WRONG-O DIEGO! The first half of the concert went splendidly! I must say, I sounded pretty good. Then, all of a sudden in Amazing Grace I felt the sides of my mouth begin to quiver. My bottom lip started to feel tingly. I couldn't believe it, my chops were dying! An hour long concert and my chops were dying!! Could it be the fact that I was playing on a brand new size 4 reed??? Oh man, I was dying inside knowing that in the last piece I had a solo that I had to bust out. Long story short--my solo part came and I had to ask the girl next to me to play it because I was dead. But I still had fun. No one glared because I missed my part, just fun stuff!

Saturday was our super-duper Jazz game! Tony's mom gave us lower bowl tickets to a Jazz game for Christmas and yesterday was the day. It was AMAZING. It was sooo loud because the Jazz were playing Denver (our rivals). I could actually recognize the players we were so close! We sat in the 18th row behind the basket. We got free Jazz mugs and those cool little sticks to bang together when the other team was shooting free throws. I felt so special because I was sitting in the rich kid seats. It was waay fun!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey I am glad you guys posted to my blog I had no idea you had one. You are now on my favorites! I had a funny thing happen. I was at Gardner village and I went into the quilt/needlepoint store (sorry I don't remember the name) anyway I saw a picture of you and Tony. It was inside a pocket on a quilted and stitched pillow example. Did you know you that? I was surprised to see you guys, but now I am curious how your wedding picture got on a pillow.

    ReplyDelete