2/20/09

In-N-Out Burger

*Warning: if you are from California, do not proceed. This post may deeply offend you, and I don't want to ruin our friendship.*


Today on the news they released some "exciting" news! The owners of the California-based In-N-Out Burger have decided to build several restaurants in northern Utah.

Most of you who aren't from the west or who didn't attend BYU are probably thinking "What? In-N-Out Burger????" I know. I was once in your shoes. When I spoke of my In-N-Out ignorance to my Californian friends at BYU I was nearly killed. Everyone in California loves this darn place and swears it is the BEST burger joint you will ever visit. They cut their own fries. They use the freshest ingredients. They never freeze their meat! Wow, what a place.

For the longest time (since I've been at BYU...almost four years now...) I had never set foot inside the legendary In-N-Out Burger. I never had the opportunity because they are mostly in California. While in St. George, I noticed that there was one in town as we drove to Wal Mart. Tony and I decided that later that night we would do it. We would go to In-N-Out Burger. I was excited to try the burger of all burgers and see what this fabulous place had to offer me.

We walked into a jam-packed little restaurant and made our way to the counter. I looked up at the menu to prepare myself for In-N-Out's legendary goodness. There were three options. Wait? Three options? Are you kidding me??? Okay, maybe they're thing is keeping it simple. I can respect that. Plus, it makes choosing a lot easier, I guess. After we ordered our food we went to the car to eat it because there were no seats in the place. After we scarfed down our burgers and fries we both looked at each other, shrugged, and gave a little "eh..."

That's right. I said it. In-N-Out is a mediocre burger joint. I'm not sure what all of you California crazies are talking about, but I'm sure it isn't your fault. I'm almost 100% sure you were all brainwashed by In-N-Out Burger as young children.

I was severely disappointed in the averageness of In-N-Out. Everyone said it was THE BEST in the country. It wasn't bad food, it just wasn't something to wet my pants about like my colleagues would as they would describe it to me in my freshman year.

So, I'm not all that excited about In-N-Out coming to Utah county. I'd much rather they build a Steak 'n Shake. Now THAT'S a good burger joint!


6 comments:

  1. I love a girl who blazes her own tasty trail!
    John and I had a similar experience in Louisville. There is a fish place that the whole city moons over. We thought it was nasty and held zero charm.
    If In-N-Out is ever an option we'll just drive on by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I tried it a few years back when I was in Vegas. It was just like any other burger. Nothing special. And the place was disgustingly crowded. We had to wait for like 5 minutes to find a place to sit. I totally do not understand the obsession. Now Blue Bell ice cream - that's an obsession I can jump on board with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I wasn't impressed. I am curious to go with a Cali and see how they order, maybe there is some magical trick to it. As for the Steak and Shake...I AM TOTALLY there! I loved going to Steak and Shake when I lived in Florida. I wish they had one here, but I guess it makes my trips to places lucky enough to have one more special as we swing in for a split shake and fries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Ryan was crazy about it too this summer and was always making excuses why he had to go out to eat instead of cook for himself. I went out to visit and we went there and I was "eh" too. But I'm all in it for the fries and their fries weren't on the best list. Now Iggy's fries...there's something to go out of your way for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds a little like the White Castle craze on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Holly! So we live back in California now and I appreciated the disclosure at the beginning of your post. In-n-Out for a lot of us california people was available even before McD's in some cities. I will admit right now, in the last 6 months since we've returned to So Cal we only eat at In-n-Out unless we are desperate for Carl's Jr. It's the only hamburger place where the meat is fresh and not frozen or comes from a tube.

    But I do miss a nice strawberry shake from Stake-n-Shake!

    ReplyDelete