11/3/09

Bringin' It

So I don't usually do this because of my fear that I will fail miserably, but I want to keep myself as accountable as possible so I meet my goal. I guess I figure if I have to stay accountable to Tony, my family, and my blog readership, it will increase my chances of success. So, here it goes.

I am starting now on a journey to lose about one pound per week until May 2nd (for a trip I'm planning on going on that I'll need to look ridiculously good in a swimsuit for :) ) I want to lose a grand total of a 20lb. Technically I could do this by March, but I'm giving myself some wiggle room by setting my goal date in May. A lot of people have told me that I really don't need to lose that much weight, but I could. I would still be in the middle of my healthy weight range and I feel like I would feel so much better. I want to get as healthy as I can before I have kids so that I will have developed those habits when they are here. I've been thinking a lot lately about how I want my children to have a healthy lifestyle. It's so important on so many levels and I know that it starts with me.

I'm not doing any crazy crash diets or body cleansing systems. I'm doing it through good ol' diet and exercise. Tony bought me a lovely (no really, it's really nice) heart rate monitor for my birthday and it is going to be my companion through this weight loss adventure. It not only reads my heart rate so I can check if I'm "in the zone" but it tells you how many calories you burned during your workout based on information you enter about yourself. Sweet deal, huh? Last night I finished the day right about even with my new determined caloric intake for the day and burned a whopping 540 calories, thanks to the plyometrics workout on P90X. I feel really great today, and so far I'm doing well (ha, it's only day TWO!)

So, there you have it. Hopefully I won't fail miserably, but I'm trying really hard to make it so I won't. I'm going to put up my stats on the side of the blog (not because I think you care, but so I can track it) and the whole world will see it. It's really hard for me to do this but I think I'll be okay. You're all friendly folks, and I don't think you'll bash me if I gain here and there :)

5 comments:

  1. You can do it! You are amazing and together with Tony you can accomplish anything. You will be my inspiration, so you better do well! You are officially accountable----NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd recommend cutting out high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated stuff completely from anything you eat (unless you've already done this). And don't buy anything that has sugar in it that doesn't need sugar (e.g., tomato sauce!!). It's easier to not eat it in the first place than try to exercise those calories out.

    We've done this for more than two months now and we feel great. I also made a deal that I would have no chocolate for two months (in exchange for an office desk), and I found that it was easier than I expected--I just never bought the stuff. It's hard to turn down Sprite at parties, and it's hard to spend extra on cereal that doesn't have sugar/HFCS/clever evil substitutes for sugar in it, but really, once you start label-reading at the grocery store you get kind of turned off to all the junk that's in food. Even whole wheat bread can have high fructose corn syrup.

    But please, along the way don't overdo it and refuse to be happy if you aren't losing weight. (I am currently working on a poster for the Love Your Body Campaign, so sorry for the soapbox.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion, Jamie! I'm not worried about my body image, I just mainly want to be healthy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, sorry if my massive comment sounded like a lecture; it wasn't meant to be directed towards you, Hollie. I think you have a brilliant head on your shoulders and I will commit with you to be healthy!

    ReplyDelete