5/23/08

Scary Dentist

Yesterday Tony and I went to the dentist to get our teeth cleaned and checked on before we head off for Bulgaria. I'm the only one who got x-rays because we are concerned with my wisdom teeth. We don't want to have any dental problems while we're overseas!

It's kind of difficult for us to go to the dentist because we don't have dental insurance. We are on a discount program through BYU's insurance and even though we get a certain percentage off, it's still lots of money.


I've leanred one very, very valuable lesson from my dentist visit yesterday: GET YOUR WISDOM TEETH OUT ASAP! EVEN IF THEY ARE COMING IN STRAIGHT!!!!!


I didn't realize the problems wisdom teeth can cause. I always thought that if they are coming in straight, no big dealy! Not true. After finding out that I have a number of cavities (I've only had one my whole life) I learned that when wisdom teeth come in, they hardly ever break through their "development sack". A layer of tissue remains over the top of the molar therefore food and other things I put in my mouth cannot be cleaned from that tooth. It gets stuck under that tissue causing bacteria to grow and spread to my other teeth. Stupid wisdom teeth!!! So, soon I have to go in for this ginormous operation where I have my two bottom wisdom teeth extracted and my cavities filled all in one sitting. Woo hoo. Since the dentist can remove my wisdom teeth (they're already in, you can see them pretty well) I just get to take some loopy pills and let them go to town on me for a very large sum of dollars.


I was kind of frustrated with this news from the dentist, but as I continue to research, the more grateful I become. I'm dreading the day of the procedure, though. I hate the dentist!


No comments:

Post a Comment