1/19/09

Topsy Turvy

It's been a while since I've posted a good blog! I have good reason for not posting as I've had a pretty darn stressful week.

It all began ohhh, in June or July when I recieved my syllabus for my internship in Bulgaria. I was fully aware of all of the assignments and understood my responsibilities as a intern for the School of Family Life. I, being a typical college student, began the bulk of my assignments two Fridays ago since they weren't due until January 15th. I attempted to do some of it in December but we couldn't get our lives back together, so it was difficult to focus on something that was due so far in the future. I was constantly worrying about cars that didn't run, apartments that wouldn't let us in because we weren't poor enough (imagine that!), and other things that we thought were all worked out before we left for BG. I realize that all of this is no excuse for my extreme procrastination, but I'm just letting you know what could have caused some delays in my completion of my homework. :)

So, two Fridays ago I began to work on several huge projects and papers that were due the following Thursday (the 15th). All week long I spent most of my days--and nights--working on all of my homework praying that I would get it done in time. Even Thursday, the day it was due, I was late for my appointment to turn it in to my professor because I was still finishing up some stuff on it. SHEESH! Point of the story is, I was mega stressed about it.

Needless to say I was looking forward to Friday. I have no classes on Fridays and this weekend was a four-day weekend so I was pretty pumped to relax and not worry about a lot of things. I DID, however, have to get one thing done on Friday. I didn't mind, it was easy-cheesy! All I had to do was call our new health insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield) and get a policy number for BYU so they would take us off of their highly expensive health insurance. Easy, right?

I called Blue Cross and they informed me that I wouldn't have a policy number until next week sometime. I explained as calmly as I could to the lady on the other end of the phone that I needed the policy number THAT DAY because the fees were due for BYU's insruance and that I didn't want to face any late penalties. I asked her why it was taking so long since I applied for this coverage literally two days after I got home from BG in December. She had not explaination, but tried to search for a policy number and informed me that the effective date was for Feb. 1st. Crap.

I emailed BYU's health insurance guru and pleaded my case and he basically told me that I had to pay for BOTH insurances because the effective date for Blue Cross wasn't until Feb. 1 and BYU requires their students to be insured during the semester. So, let's pull $1,076 out of somewhere and slap it on the table. We worried for a while but Tony suggested that even though we hate to charge on our credit card that we could do that this time. Hahahaha, funny story: we have a Visa....BYU doesn't accept VISA!

I felt extremely nauseous when we realized there was really nothing we could do to take care of this situation. The penalty wasn't a small deal, either--deletion of all of your classes. I frantically searched online on Saturday realizing that even if we did pay late, they would still delete my classes I signed up for this semester, and since the add deadline was Friday, there would be no way for me to get my classes back. I wasn't being "weenie" about any of this, either. I was quite forceful in letting everyone know how they were making things really hard for me. Everyone seemed to point to some contract I signed so I raised up the white flag and accepted what was going to happen to me.

I feel like I got suspended from school or something. I was so excited about this semester and now it's gone! I know that I can take summer classes or maybe even a class online or two, but it's just so strange what happened to me. It wasn't anything I did wrong, either! I've had a really difficult time swallowing this pill because I really liked going to school. I was really excited about my classes. I think that I'm finally okay, though. I've come to terms with the fact that I will be working this semester instead of schooling. This could probably be classified as one of those "blessings in disguise". We are doing FINE with money, but we aren't really saving because we're just getting back into the swing of things. If I get job, we can start saving again and REALLY get back on our feet. Maybe this was the right thing, anyway.

I guess in the end I got what I wanted, a four-day weekend with nothing to do. Now that my classes are being deleted, I don't have any homework anymore!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a Hard-to-be-Hollie week to me. I'm so sorry for all the stress & frustration.
    A semester off will be a chance for you to get all distractions settled so you can focus on you and your classes when you start again. It will be great.
    Good luck getting a job. Whoever hires you will be so lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, Hollie! That stinks! But maybe it's really good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I also hate insurance-related things with a passion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sounds really stressful. Maybe just having a job for now will help you with the adjustment period and give you some time to get back into the swing of things. Good luck with the job search, I know it's not one of your favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a bummer! Btw, I hate insurance. The last girl I talked to at our insurance made me cry! Granted, that's not as hard to do these days, but still! She sure wasn't trying to do me any favors. On a lighter note, we really want to get together sometime and see your new place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you're having so much stress!!

    ReplyDelete