9/6/11

Birthday Cake

Today is Tony's birthday (Happy Birthday!!) but we celebrated with his family this weekend.  They all came over and we had dinner and games and he opened lots of presents.  I put my self in charge of the cake and the only request I got from Tony was chocolate.  I wanted to get creative so I found a recipe for a giant Hostess cupcake birthday cake and went for it.  It seemed so simple but it ended up being pretty intense.  It just took forever!  It was one of my finer birthday cakes, if I do say so.  Tony was really pleased with it and we were both really excited to slice it up and see if it really looked like a Hostess cupcake.

Here's what it looked like!




I kind of cheated and didn't make the cake layers myself but the cream filling, chocolate frosting, and signature Hostess swirl on top were all made from scratch.  That vanilla cream in the middle was so good I was eating it by itself as I baked!  Tony and I were worried that having a big cream filling middle would be a bit over-powering but it wasn't at all. This was one of the best cakes I think I've ever made, and Tony loved it.

Happy Birthday, Tony!

3 comments:

  1. You shouldn't tease pregnant women by putting up pictures of such a delicious looking dessert! I have to simply imagine how it tastes, and believe me, I am! Oh, and Happy Birthday, Ton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have some left over if you want to come get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's SO impressive (and looks super yummy)! I'm embarrassed to say I've never even touched my KitchenAid mixer. :/

    ReplyDelete