9/30/11

The Great Fig Adventure

Thanks to Bountiful Baskets, I had the challenge of figuring out something to do with a basket of figs.  To show you how familiar I was with figs...I thought they were tomatillos.  Good thing I didn't try to make any Cafe Rio salad dressing with them!  The only encounter with figs I'd ever had was eating Fig Newton cookies, which I'm sure is 100% "real" fig filling.

I scoured the internet to figure out what to do with these cute little figs and found a recipe for bacon-wrapped figs.  I figured if I'm going to try something new and different, wrapping it in bacon is the way to go!


So, here's what I did:

My cute little figs!


Sliced in half.  I think they look just beautiful on the inside!  I never knew what figs looked like until now.
Slather some yummy goat cheese on top (the more the better in my opinion)

Cut bacon slices in half so they are short.  The figs weren't big and cutting the bacon in half still allowed me to wrap it all the way around.

Broil for 5 minutes or until bacon is brown and crispy!
Man, were these delicious!  I added a small dab of honey on top of each of mine which really made them yummy.  I like that these could be dessert (use nuts instead of bacon) or an appetizer!  I think its so fun that with Bountiful Baskets we are trying things we normally wouldn't get to.  Figs are pretty darn expensive, but included in my basket they were a really good price.

Yay for trying new foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment