11/13/08

Here Goes Nothin'

Okay, so after hours of searching and pondering, I've put together a playlist of songs for line dances and other stuff.



Let's see what you think:

1. Cupid Shuffle - this is apparently pretty new, I've never done it except in aerobics and I didn't even realize I was doing a line dance while I was doing it. I must admit it's pretty fun! I plan on teaching this today.
2. Cha-Cha Slide - this is from my era of church dances. I know it well and think it's just okay on the fun level. Maybe because I've done it hundreds of times? I also got a lame version of the song, so we'll even see if I teach it. :)
3. The Virginia Reel - This was inspired from you hoedown lovers. I learned this dance in 5th grade at Bradford Woods camp. We're doing it to the song "Turkey in the Straw". How corny of me!!!! Yeehaw!
4. Boot Scootin' Boogie - Oh. Yeah. This song brings back fond memories of my mom and I driving to the local country bar with her friend Becky for line dancin' Thursdays. How could I NOT teach this song?? It's classic American line dance! Can I get another Yeehaw?!
5. Cleveland Shuffle - Hmmm, I read that this was pretty popular nowadays. It looks fun, and I always have an enjoyable time trying to dance like a black girl. :)
6. Cotton Eye Joe - Classic Hollie church dance. I was never complete without doing this dance at a church dance, and I even made everyone do it at BOTH of my wedding receptions.
7. The Bunny Hop - while I don't plan on teaching this unless I have a class full of little kids, it's still a class line dance, right? I learned in gym class in 2nd grade and that has to mean it has some importance in the dance world.
8. Crazy - I think we'll skip the belly shirts and the chairs, but everyone has to admit that at one point in their lives they've learned this (or at least WANTED to), whether it was from the MTV Grind workout videos in Gym class, or because of the pure pressure put on you because everyone else knew it. I'm taming this classic middle school hit down and we're going to do some Britney moves! (Don't worry, I won't make them shave their heads)
9. Come on Ride That Train - Another church dance classic. I never actually learned this line dance in my church dance years, but it looks easy and fun enough.
10. Men in Black - Yet again, another new one, and I'm so pumped to learn it. Man, I'm totally going to be called as a Young Women leader when I get home JUST so I can chaperone the dances! I'll have all the moves!!! hahaha
11. Booty Bounce - This dance, simply because of the name, has a special place in the hearts of all my girls at the lower home. One of the moves in Thriller was called "booty bounce" and they giggled for at least 10 minutes when I showed them how to do it. Now every time they see me they say "booty bounce and booty bounce!" (and of course shake their tushies in the appropriate manner).
12. NJ Strut (fast forward to the end of this video)- We'll be bustin the moves from this dance to Will Smith's Wild Wild West.
13. Thriller - ohhh yes, the kids at the other home may want to try this one out so I've got it on my playlist. I kind of hope not, though. I'm kind of going crazy because of this dance!!

So? Do I have a good mix or what? I'll let you know how the first "class" goes. I'm pretty stoked to teach it! Maybe if you're good boys and girls I'll have Tony video the first class so you can see :).

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is a really impressive group of dances there. I hope you film the kids dancing at least one of them . . . .

    You're doing awesome work, priqteli moi.

    ReplyDelete