11/17/08

If You're Happy & You Know It

I've seen several people writing blogs about things that make them happy, and I thought I would do the same thing since we're getting close to Thanksgiving and all. Plus, I'm pretty sick right now so thinking happy thoughts is making me feel a little bit better :).

I'm going to copy David Letterman here and do a top ten list of things that make me happy.
*drumroll*

[just so ya know, Tony ALWAYS makes me happy. He isn't on the list NOT because he doesn't make me happy, I was just kind of dedicating this to things in Bulgaria that make me happy. I know, I know, Tony IS in Bulgaria....but you know what I mean!]

10. Vafli Borovets! While I'm trying to cut back on these, I can't help but want them for every meal. Chocolatey, nutty, wafery goodness! This is something I will most definitley miss when we leave Bulgaria.

9. Mimi's lisp. There is the cutest little girl at the lower home and she loves seeing us. She always runs up and gives me a hug as soon as she spots me coming. She has the cutest little lisp and the most adorable laugh. It can make my day!

8. Diuners in the Plovdiv train station underground thingy. Tony had talked up diuners before we left and I had one in Sofia, and one in Russe, and wasn't impressed. One day when we arrived in Plovdiv we headed underground to get to the other side of the street and Tony suggested we get a diuner from a stand down there. They are delicious. I love them and we get them anytime we can when we are in Plovdiv. I don't think my mother (or Tony's mother) would want us eating there, but we do, and it rocks. I'm going to take pictures of them next time we head to Plovdiv. Mmmmm...

7. Kids in the home who go to school and have big plans for themselves. I was talking to Pepa, a girl in my dance club, the other day and she was talking about how she's going to keep going to school and not skip like others. Here if you finish 8th grade, that is like the equivalent of a high school diploma for people in the states. She said even if she doesn't go to a university, it would still be worth it to try. I really loved it. This Pepa girl is just one cool chica!

6. Taking the little kids to the magazine after they get their allowance. One of my favorite memories is walking with Jackson and Naska to the store. Jackson slapped his money down on the countner, (which was only like 60 stotinki) and said "I'll take the nicest bon bon for me and give me a job (a pocket/sandwich thing) for the lady!" (me) He's six. HOW CUTE! Of course, he didn't have enough for my sandwich but promised me next time he would get me one, haha!

5. Dance club has become my new favorite. While I have to admit I like it at the lower home a little better, it's still fun at both orphanages! The lower home is just a smaller, older, not so hyped-up group. :) But the little tykes at the upper home are super cute and I love them, too.

4. The Damova Kushta. This is my favorite restaurant in Bulgaria! A while back I declared myself a "Bulgaria vegetarian" and decided that I was giving up on meat. However, when we went here I had some grilled chicken and pork and oh, man, am I sorry I ever said I didn't want to eat meat! -AND- they have amazing Baklava.

3. The store we discovered that lets you pick your own stuff out. All of the stores here are so old school, like, pioneer old school, in that you have to tell the lady behind the counter what you want and she fetches it from shelves behind her. Because we weren't used to this, it was always awkward because we took so much time to decide. We finally found a store that we can just browse around in and buy our food at our own pace. It's about the size of a good-sized gas station convenience store, but it has everything we need. Plus, if you spend 10 levs or more, you get a free bonus! An item from the bonus list. We usually get Vafli Borovets...

2. The mountains! Living around mountains for three years has really made me a mountain lovin' girl! Both locations we've been have had BEAUTIFUL mountains. I especially love them right now, when the leaves are starting to change. Our balcony faces a gorgeous, multi-colored mountain that is just calling for me to hike it. Once I get over this illness, I'm going!

1. Everyone who has shown me support during my time in Bulgaria! All you One Heart employees who magically found my blog, all of my friends who make encouraging comments CONSTANTLY, family members, and everyone who is just so darn happy for me that I'm here. Thanks, guys!

3 comments:

  1. I liked your list. Bulgaria sounds pretty interesting. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely qualifies as cruel and unusual. I haven't felt so homesick for Bulgaria in quite a while.

    Sounds like y'all are doing such great work! (And your blog sets a new standard that future interns will sure enjoy....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to remember the things to be happy about and thankful for!

    ReplyDelete