11/8/08

Keepin' it Real Part Two

Okay, okay...I'll admit it.




I'm a little homesick.

I was REFUSING to admit to this to protect myself from criticism and non-supportive people ragging me about how great the USA is and how dumb I am for going to a place like Bulgaria. I was trying to make everyone think that everyday here was nothing short of perfection, and that I didn't ever miss home. While I miss home a lot LESS than I thought I would, I've had 3 or 4 days during my time here where I just wish I was back in Utah having a "normal" BYU semester, having all of the things I'm so used to having (i.e. a toilet that flushes without me having to pour a bucket of water into it) :)

My professor, Dr. Magarrell, informed me that in my final weeks I would have lots of mixed feelings and lots of emotions to deal with as I leave. It's true! As much as I miss things like oh, ground beef, I hate thinking of leaving. Even thinking of the day when we say good-bye to the kids at the home literally hurts my heart. I don't want to leave them! It's so strange for us (yes, Tony is a litle homesick, too!) to be excited to go back to normal life and at the same time dread the day we get to.

So, there. I said it.

In other news.....
  • After Thriller, the girls who performed it with me BEGGED for more dances. We now have a "Dance Club" started three times a week for one hour. Who would have ever thought I would be the leader of a dance club. Haha
  • *Tony bought a basketball. He can now truly ball it up with his new, bright yellow, Miami Heat ball (it was the cheapest one we could find...). Needless to say, he's been excited to play with it since he bought it on Thursday. Unfortunatley for him, the gym is only open M-Th so he'll have to wait until Monday.
  • We shopped at Billa. Billa is a huge hypermarket that is as close to Wal*Mart as you get over here. It was fantastic. We bought some beef steaks and frozen pizzas! It's been a great past couple of nights for dinner!
  • I got a new coat. It's wonderfully cute and Tony bought it for me out of true love and devotion. What a guy.

So, there you have it. A confession and newsflash all in one blog. Could you ask for more? ...Probably not.

8 comments:

  1. I hear ya, Hollie. As much as I sometimes dreaded going every day to talk to the little old ladies at the rest home in Mexico, I cried and cried when it came time to say goodbye. Even Pupe, who I thought hated me for sure, started crying and told me that even though we might not meet again on earth, we would surely see each other in heaven. Ay!

    So kudos for admitting that you're homesick, and for admitting that it'll be hard to leave. I can't believe your time there has gone by so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. USA! USA! USA!
    guess you can now tell which of "those" people I was.

    2 hours on the plane and you wont remember their names! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! just a little humor. What you are doing is awesome and the experiences and memories will last a lifetime. Maybe even from the kids perspective as well. Maybe 20 years from know one of them will say "Remember when that lady dressed up and we danced to Thriller" and start laughing (in a good way).

    enjoy yourself

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think admitting that you're homesick lessens what you are doing one bit. I think it's very admirable that you guys are sacrificing to help those in need!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forty-five years later I remember a little boy named Christoph in ragged shorts on a beat-up bicycle . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing such wonderful things there. I think you are amazing for going. I am sure you will have great stories to tell at the Dinners. See you when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all of the support, guys. It really helps!

    ReplyDelete