3/16/09

My New Babies


I don't know how many of you know that I am training for a 5K, but I have some wonderful running news! On Saturday Tony took me to the Salt Lake Running Company and I was fitted for some brand new spiffy running shoes! There they are, on the left. Aren't they beautiful?

I'll make this blog somewhat informative by answering the question I know you're all asking. "What's so great about those shoes? They look normal to me." Let me start from the very beginning.....


As you probably know, everyone's feet are different. Some of us have high arches, low arches, or flat feet like ducks. I fall into the duck category. If you're interested in seeing where you are, try this "wet test." What happens to me when I run, because I have flat feet, is that I over pronate. That is, a micro-second after footstrike, my arch collapses inward too much, resulting in excessive foot motion and increasing my risk of injuries.


At the SL Running Co, they put me on a tredmill and videotaped me running. They then went frame by frame to show me what my feet and legs were doing as I run. It looked so painful! It looked like my ankle was bending in the wrong way! It was very interesting. So, then the store clerk brought out probably six different pairs of stability shoes (they have a more supportive arch so that mine doesn't collapse when I run), all of which I ran with on the tredmill.


I finally settled on the Asic Gel-Kanayo 15's (pictured above). They feel wonderful and I can tell that they really support my arches. I took them out on our 4-miler on Saturday and they did pretty well, they made my legs sore because they were brand new, but I still liked them. Today on my 2-mile run they were fabulous! I feel like a new runner woman!


I know some of you probably aren't the least bit interested in all of this, but I find it very interesting! Plus, I'm excited about my new (and fairly expensive..sheesh!) shoes!


If you're curious, Tony did the biomechanics test at the running store too, and he has perfect form. So he can get neutral, less expensive shoes. I'm just a handicapped runner :).



4 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting, too! I did the video of my feet on the treadmill thing. My problem is that I walk like Fred Flintstone, so a little tougher to find a shoe to fix that...
    Yours look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aasics are the best, anyway. Might as well shell it out when it comes to shoes, it will be worth it in the end. As further endorsement, my grandfather (who has run over 20 marathons) only wears Aasics. Wow, I'm not even sure that's how you spell it. I've got to work on my promotionals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flat feet are an over-pronation unto the Lord.

    That's why your shoes rock so hard. I was almost convinced at one point during your shoe-fitting session that you were going to attempt to buy two different shoes--one for each foot.

    But I think you made the right choice in the end. I'm jealous. My feet hurt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very exciting! I always have to find just right shoes too...in fact I have gotten the same pair over and over for a few times now!

    ReplyDelete